Dear Little One,
Now let me tell you about Aunt Destiny…
Destiny is 9 years younger than me and 5 years younger than Aunt Ashley. Destiny is the only one who was born in Missouri. Ash and I were born in California. An interesting fact about Aunt Destiny–or Dest, as we sometimes call her–is that she was stillborn. In other words, she was technically dead when she was born, but miraculously… she was able to be revived. She’s a real miracle!
Because of the age difference, Destiny and I had a pretty good relationship most of the time. I would say that while we were growing up, Destiny was more like my child than my sister. So, you can thank her for me being an awesome mom because I had some practice with her!
Aunt Destiny is a lot like your mom. Destiny used to call herself my “younger twin” because everyone said we looked and acted so much alike. She was my mini-me for some time. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, we have similar taste in clothes, décor, food, music, and hobbies. Although, Aunt Destiny is far more introverted than me! I still don’t know how that happened! No one else in the family is an introvert…
Aunt Destiny is very reflective and analytical by nature. She is a strong Christian woman and she practices what she preaches. She may not be “the life of the party” but don’t let that fool you! She is a lot of fun! She loves to joke and be sarcastic. She is crazy smart and always has good insight. If you need someone to go to with questions about the major issues in life, she’s your girl. If she doesn’t know the answer, she’ll help you find it. Her love may be less affectionate than Aunt Ashley’s, but don’t ever think she loves you any less. I promise!
Some memories of your Aunt Destiny…
- Giving her all my broccoli because she loved it and I didn’t.
- Sleepovers with me and Derek and cooking her favorite foods.
- Playing truth or dare with her and Ashley and trying to make Destiny drink toilet water.
- Late nights with her at Mimi’s watching Degrassi.
- Staying up until well after midnight talking about our faith and deepest hopes, dreams, fears, and our love for each other. (This usually went on until one or both of us were in tears.)
- COUNTLESS inside jokes with her and Aunt Ashley…
- “Destiny, have you been kissing the parrot?!” (aka the red cupcake incident)
- Lakweefsha Poo and Farticus Stinch (trip to Boston)
- This is true. But of course! You don’t say! Well, I never…
- “For the love of God, woman! Learn how to drive!”
- Late night phone conversations usually surrounding dream interpretations and psychoanalysis.
I want you to know that your Aunt Destiny may seem a little crunchy on the outside sometimes, but she’s really a big softy! I really hope you and her have the opportunity to spend lots of time together because I think you’d love her and I know she’ll love you. If you ever need prayer or answers and you can’t come to me or your dad, call her.